“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.’”
– Nelson Mandela
Volunteer Tutors are a key component in the Lead Up program, helping students advance their academic learning and prepare for the challenges of college.
- Assist with homework completion.
- Coach and prepare students to successfully complete tests or projects.
- Help students develop tools and strategies that help them become effective, independent learners.
- Build student self-esteem and motivation.
- Commit to a full semester of participation as a tutor, preferably setting aside 1.5 hours per week.
- Communicate regularly with the program leadership – particularly the AmeriCorps Program Specialists.
- Document tutoring time.
- Patient and flexible.
- Tolerant and respectful of others differences.
- Subject specific or broad knowledge of high school level subjects.
- Personal fulfillment through contribution to community and individuals.
- Satisfaction of helping someone mature, progress and achieve academic and life goals.
- Connection to a community of life-long learners and leaders committed to changing lives and strengthening communities through education and access.
When & Where?
Tutors work alongside Lead Up staff members at North Star High School:
5801 North 33rd Street
Students are welcomed:
Tuesdays from 2:00-3:30 p.m.
Wed & Thurs from 3:00-4:30 p.m.
Ready to Tutor?
Complete an application: